|Best Friend Forever|
|Season 1, Episode 12|
|Air date||March 5, 2011|
|Written by||Erik Patterson|
|Directed by||Jason Furukawa|
Fear Never Knocks
The Black Mask
Best Friend Forever is the twelfth episode of R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour: The Series.
Jack Pierce accidentally resurrects a zombie (after using a car battery and jumper cables to get some worms for science class) and decides to keep him as a pet, since a zombie is already dead and Jack's mom won't be mad at him for killing yet another pet. But Jack soon learns that caring for a dead human is just as bad as (and grosser than) caring for an animal -- especially when said dead human has an ulterior motive.
Jack Pierce desperately wants a dog, but his mother won't allow it since every other pet he owned died. So in order to prove how responsible he is now, Jack decides to perform an experiment to bring worms back from the dead and keep them as pets. Unfortunately he also accidentally raises a zombie out of the cemetery, Jack is freaked out at first, but then realizes that a zombie can't die (like all of his former pets) already being dead.
Jack decides to name the zombie, Cheeky, to also keep him as a "Zombie pet" and hide his new pet from his suspicious mom. Cheeky then gives Jack a small present, a metal tag with his name on it. The next day at school, Jack plans on proving that he's smarter then his rival Mitch by showing him that he raised a zombie from the dead. Jack uses Cheeky to scare Mitch into admitting he's smarter and then tells Mitch that he can't tell anyone about Cheeky until an upcoming science fair. Everything seems to have gone alright for Jack, until Cheeky sneaks up behind and knocks him out with a huge stick...
Jack woke up to find that he was chained-up in some sort of underground "zombie home" in the same cemetery- where Cheeky then asks his "Zombie Mom" if he could keep him... Apparently Cheeky wanted Jack to be his 'human pet' the whole time and was just waiting until no one else was watching them, then they would kidnap the boy from his family. Jack soon realizes this fact after seeing the same metal tag around his neck (which Cheeky gave him earlier). He then screams in horror when Cheeky offers him a pet's breakfast.
- Anne Openshaw as Jack's Mom
- David Richmond-Peck as Mr.Franklin
- Kelly-Ruth Mercier as Zombie Mom
- Mitch calls Jack Jar Jar, a character from Star Wars.
- The conversation Jack has with his mom about having a pet dog is almost identical to Cheeky and Zombie Mom's talk. This creates irony for the 'twist ending'.
- While there had been more light hearted episodes before this, this can be considered the first truly comedic episode.
- This episode lightly touches on the idea of going too far against a bully, which was previously touched on in The Dead Body and would be further explored in Swarmin' Norman.