|Season 1, Episode 7|
|Air date||January 29, 2011|
|Written by||Jack Monaco|
|Directed by||Neill Fearnley|
The Red Dress
Ghostly Stare is the seventh episode of R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour. It is based on the short story of the same name from Nightmare Hour.
Lauren and her younger brother named Mark go to a cemetery about to be razed for a mini-mall to collect some gravestone shadings -- and soon learn that some spirits refuse to stay dead, when Mark falls in an empty grave and replaces by a ghost.
An old cemetery is being removed, and a mini mall is going to be built over it. Lauren and her younger brother, Mark, decide to visit the cemetery because Lauren wants to do grave rubbings, and Mark wants to see some dead bodies. During the visit, Mark falls into a grave, and a ghost enters his body.
Unaware that her younger brother has become a ghost, Lauren takes him home. Mark wakes Lauren up in the middle of the night, and Lauren stares into Mark's eyes, which causes a flashing appearance of his skeleton, revealing that he is a ghost.
Lauren discovers that if she gets Mark out of the grave, the ghost will be thrown out of his body. Eventually, Mark wakes up and climbs out of the grave, throwing the ghost out of his body, he calls for Lauren. Upon hearing Mark's voice Lauren runs to reunite with him, but she falls into a grave and is replaced by a female ghost named Alice Clairborne, and the real Lauren is dead.
- Emma Grabinsky as Lauren
- Jason Spevak as Mark
- Kirsten Robek as Alice
- Marcus Hondro as Wormy Ghost
- Darren Moore as Headless Ghost
Differences from the story
- In the story, there is no Alice Clareborn.
- In the story, Lauren and Mark visit the graveyard because of a class field trip.
- The episode can be considered a sequel to the story as well as an adaptation. In the story, the reveal that the ghost possessed Mark was the ending twist.
- Jason Spevack was nominated for a Young Artist Award for his role as Mark in this episode.
- Emma Grabinsky later appears in Terrible Love.