|Birthplace||Monterey, California, USA|
|Date of Birth||January 31, 1996|
|Role on Haunting Hour||John Westmore|
Joel Courtney (born January 31, 1996) is an American actor. Courtney is best known for his role of Joseph "Joe" Lamb in the 2011 J. J. Abrams film Super 8, for which he received critical acclaim and a Saturn Award nomination.
Life and career
Courtney was born in Monterey, California, the son of Carla and Dale Courtney, and lives in Moscow, Idaho. Courtney, living in Moscow, Idaho, took a trip to Los Angeles during the first week of summer school break, where he hoped to be in a commercial and make $100. Seattle casting director Patti Kalles advised Courtney to audition for Paramount Pictures' Super 8, produced by Steven Spielberg, J. J. Abrams, Bryan Burk, and written and directed by J. J. Abrams. After 11 callbacks, Courtney landed the role of Joe Lamb in the film.
Alongside Jake T. Austin, Courtney will be portraying Tom Sawyer in Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn, an adaptation of Mark Twain's classic, written and directed by Jo Kastner. Kastner and Marcus Weinhart produced the film, which was shot in August 2011 in Bulgaria.
Alongside Isabelle Fuhrman, Courtney completed filming the supernatural thriller The Healer. In the film, the young actor plays a disgruntled teen who joins his father on a camping trip only to have a run-in with otherworldly forces. Filming was shot from September to October 2011 in North Carolina.
|2011||Super 8||Joe Lamb||Coming of Age Awards for Best Newcomer|
BAM Award for Best Performance by a Child Actor
Phoenix Film Critics Society Award for Best Ensemble Acting
Nominated-YouReviewer Award for Breakthrough Actor
Nominated-Teen Choice Award for Choice Movie Breakout Male
Nominated-Teen Choice Award for Choice Chemistry
Nominated-Phoenix Film Critics Society Award for Best Performance by a Youth in a Lead or Supporting Role-Male
Nominated-Young Artist Award for Best Performance in a Feature Film - Leading Young Actor
|2012||The Healer||Nick Madsen||Lead. In Post-Production|
|2013||Tom Sawyer & Huckleberry Finn||Tom Sawyer||Lead. In Post-Production|
Notable TV guest appearances
|2011||The Haunting Hour||John Westmore||Creature Feature, Season 2, Episodes 1 & 2|
|2012||FOX TV||Griffin Jones||"Rogue" (untitled Karyn Usher TV pilot), Episodes 1 & 2|
Awards and nominations
|2011||Teen Choice Award||Choice Movie Breakout Male||Super 8||Nominated|
(shared with the Super 8 crew)
|Phoenix Film Critics Society Awards||Best Ensemble Cast||Super 8||Won|
|Best Performance by a Youth in a Lead or Supporting Role - Male||Super 8||Nominated|
|2012||Young Artist Award||Best Performance in a Feature Film - Leading Young Actor||Super 8||Nominated|
|Best Performance in a Feature Film - Young Ensemble Cast|
(shared with the Super 8 cast)
|Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films||Best Performance by a Young Actor||Super 8||Won|
- ^ a b c J. J. Abrams rests Super 8’s hopes on first-time actor — CTV.ca.. Retrieved June 8, 2011.
- ^ a b Joel Courtney: The Official Site: Bio.
- ^ http://lmtribune.com/a_and_e/article_295dbe4a-3df6-517c-94dc-b390406dcb4c.html
- ^ http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/06/10/1682608/north-idaho-sweetness-lands-teen.html
- ^ http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118039021
- ^ http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118039021?refcatid=13&printerfriendly=true
- ^ Sneider, Jeff (June 23, 2011). "'Super 8' star is today's Tom Sawyer". Variety.
- ^ http://www.hubworld.com/watch/1178485145001/r-l-the-haunting-hour-behind-the-screams-on-the-set-with-brendan-meyer-joel-courtney
- ^ http://www.topix.com/forum/who/julian-mcmahon/TRGVAACQVA8HMRFPK
- ^ http://www.teen.com/2011/07/19/entertainment/teen-choice-award-nominees-2011-second-wave-pretty-little-liars-darren-criss/
- ^ "Phoenix Film Critic Society 2011 Awards". Retrieved April 8, 2012.
- ^ "33rd Annual Young Artist Awards". YoungArtistAwards.org. Retrieved 31 March 2012.